Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"On time" and "Two and a half weeks early" are two different things

An all-caps "please" is more demand than plea.

For a few months, we paid the cable bill to Older Sister, and she put the entire tab on her credit card. This was the result of a late fee. We were late one time. Mostly because the system for check-writing is that everyone puts in their own check. The last person puts a stamp on the bill and sends it out.

Seems simple. 

Except when the sisters rush to put their checks in first and I am stuck with the stamp. Every. Single. Time. 

One time I ran out of stamps. I took the envelope and stuck it in my gym bag so that no additional Post-Its would stare me down, insisting I go swiftly in search of postage. And then I totally forgot to send it.

We were late the one time because of me, but our checks "never seem to get there in time for some reason." 

Apparently, even so, we have abandoned the credit card scheme and have returned to checks. The above note appeared August 14. It is urgent, imploring, decisively demanding us to pay by tomorrow. 

Here is the original bill:


That is some hella-expensive 60 Minutes.
Note the bill's due date. Sept. 2 is exactly 18 days after the Post-It begs us to dash to our checkbooks. The only way we'd get a late fee is if Comcast confused our payment with the month before

Since I was obviously the last one to write a check, I stashed the envelope inside the book I'm reading until I got my paycheck. I sent it out today.

It will still get to the cable company a week early.


No comments:

Post a Comment